Swinnertons pitcher "The Ferry" wonderful old pitcher or water jug
Swinnerton's pitcher "The Ferry" wonderful old pitcher or water jug with red almost mystical scene of a boat rowing across a river with some wild looking country and a castle like house on a cliff. Marked "Swinnertons Staffordshire England" "The Ferry" and a '36 3' imcised on the bottom. Great piece!
Hanley 1906 to around 1973, Vulcan Pottery, Washington Works,
Started by Mr. B.J. Swinnerton at Burton place, Hanley. Company founded in c1906 with factories in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent.
1906 - Swinnertons, Vulcan Works, Hanley, appointed Mr. H. Field their London agent, showing their samples at his rooms, 106, Hatton-garden, E.C.
Became a limited company in 1911.
1911 - B.J. Swinnerton joined with W. Lindley in taking over a business at the Old Chelsea Works.
On the death of Mr. B. J. Swinnerton, Mr. V.G.H. Alcock joined the firm, becoming its chairman.
During the first world war a Mr. W. Bloore joined the firm and another factory, the Washington Pottery, was acquired. (by 1953 this works had been sold). After the 1st world war Messrs. Alcock, Lindley and Bloore purchased a teapot factory.
In 1925, the Victoria Pottery was purchased, followed soon after by the purchase of the Scotia Pottery at Burslem, in the meantime, the teapot business had developed and a further teapot factory was added to the group.
The directors, now joined by Mr. R.B. Bloore and Mr. W.S. Lindley, decided to build a new, single-storey factory, for the exclusive manufacture of Samian and Rockingham teapots.
In 1938 a start was made to rebuild the Vulcan Pottery, but it was interrupted by the second world war.
August 1952 the redevelopment of the Vulcan Pottery was completed.
In 1952 the old-established business of Davison & Son Ltd., was purchased. Trading at this time was still continued under the Swinnertons name.
In 1959 the Swinnertons group was taken over by the Lawley Group.
Between 1959 and 1964, when the Lawley Group became part of Allied English Potteries (AEP), the Swinnerton name appears to have ceased.
In 1973 AEP merged with Royal Doulton and thus Swinnertons, among many other companies, became part of the Doulton group.
Add this product to your cart below
||Add To Cart