Shelley China cup with a coat of arms over "Saltcoates". A nice piece of armorial ware by Shelley China this dates between 1913 to 1936. This was probably a souvenir for the huge tidal pool built here in the 30s. (See Below)
The registered Shelley name and backstamp were not introduced until 1910, but the factory existed prior to this as the Foley China Works. In fact, many early Shelley pieces up until around 1916, were marked "Late Foley" in addition to "Shelley". The Foley Pottery's history can be traced back to the mid nineteenth century.
The Shelley factory closed its doors in 1966. It wasn't until the late 1970s or early 1980s that Shelley china started to become so collectible. Today, collectors can still expect to find pieces, but interest and prices in these beautiful wares have increased steadily over the years.
The mark on this piece dates from 1913 to 1936
For more on Shelley follow the link below
Saltcoats is a sea-port, partly in the parish of Stevenston and partly in that of Ardrossan; 74 miles wsw from Edinburgh, 30 sw from Glasgow, 19 n from Ayr, 14 w by n from Kilmarnock, and one from Ardrossan: eligibly situate on the Frith of Clyde, near to its northern extremity
Saltcoats is a town on the west coast of North Ayrshire, Scotland. It is one of the 'Three Towns' along with Ardrossan and Stevenston.
name is derived from the town's earliest industry when salt was harvested from the sea water, carried out in small houses along the beach known as 'cots'. Other early industries in the town included coal mining, fishing and handloom weaving.
After the turn of the twentieth century and the decline of salt panning in the town, Saltcoats became increasingly popular as a holiday destination.An old bathing pond was rebuilt during the 1930s, becoming the largest tidal pool of the time in Scotland.However since the 1960s Saltcoats has seen a decline in popularity as a seaside resort, mainly due to the popularity of international travel
Saltcoats received Burgh status in 1528, which lasted into 1975 when it was integrated into the then new Cunninghame District Council (now North Ayrshire Council).
Add this product to your cart below