Ceramique De Beauce
Quebec de Beauce Pottery
Sometimes called Beachware
¬†For more information on Beauceware click on the link below
Quebec de Beauce Pottery 1939 - 1989
¬†¬†¬† The venture of the "Ceramique de Beauce" Inc., also known as Beauceware (trademark), Beauce, Beauceware
began in 1939 and ran for 50 years, ceasing operations in 1989.¬† With 1000s of combinations of molds and glazes, Beauce pieces are available in most every style and highly collectible. Beauceware became an important part of Beauce County, in Quebec, Canada.
August 29, 1940 the "Syndicat des Ceramiste Payasans de la Beauce"¬† (Peasant Potters of Beauce) was founded. In 1943 they moved to St Joseph de Beauce, Quebec. Production initially was on a small scale and expanded to an industrial level in the later 1940s. Initially a local red clay was used until 1948 - 1949 which was replaced by a¬† white clay imported from Georgia, USA. The "Beauseware' trademark was used after WW II until th mid 1960s.
In 1963 a new line of Beauceware was produced under the name "Argyle Vivante Beauce" and designed by Jaques Garnier a noted Quebec ceramist. Another noted designer was Jean Garnier. In 1965 the operation became a co-operative under "Ceramique de Beauce" with new logo "cb"
The ceramic products of Beauce transgressed the local market place and quickly reached the Canadian, American and European markets. The Ceramics of Beauce Inc remains a striking example of the resounding evolution of the Beauce "entrepreneurship" venture.
In 1942, the existing buildings of the Beauceville college provided classes for the apprentice ceramists workshops and exposure rooms in Saint-Joseph, situated close to the clay layers of the Callway river. The occupation of this site ended with the first training program closure, where twelve enthusiastic candidates expressed their desire to follow the occupation of full-time ceramist. In 1943, they constituted their own co-operative association and decided to launch ceramic production on an industrial basis. The Government had purchased a vacant shoe factory, previously the Albert Lalibert√© Lt√©e's company, and allowed the new company to occupy and share the buildings as the new ceramics school of Saint-Joseph. This training program remained in place until 1964.
¬†In 1950, introduces the availability of whiter earth and you begin to see marks under the pieces. Some are only identified with a number; this is the series number of the product. In the beginning of the fifties, pieces were not marked. Later on you will find Beauce Canada or a hand mark of the ceramist, such as the initials of their name, or their personal sign.
¬†¬† 1960 to 1970, you will find many styles of lamps, decorations, bibelots and promotional products created and produced for companies. There are many beautiful mural plates created for Expo 67', some painted with real gold, very refined. You will often find "beauceware" marked on the pieces.
¬†¬† Economic success and the artistic expansion during this time were remarkable. The Ceramics of Beauce supplied half of the Canadian demand and it was the most significant ceramic industry of its kind in Canada. The company satisfied manufacturing customers who controlled the market for lamp bases and wholesalers who benefitted from the originality, design and¬† variety of pottery produced here. The major impact of Expo 67 dramatically influenced the future of world production. Indeed, the company starts to produce fondue sets of all kinds, escargot dishes, onion soup bowls, casseroles, etc. as many new products of which the tradition is external from Quebec traditional production but which now reflect the demand of the modern marketplace.
¬†¬† January 21, 1974, the Ceramics of Beauce was consumed by fire which practically condemned the industry with this near total loss. At the time, the annual production had reached 2.3 million units, a turnover of more than $1.5 million dollars and employed 135. Due to the vitality of the "Beaucerons", the company reopened in a new building, the following year. In June 1975, the production was directed mainly towards promotional and marketing activities in the Hotel and Retail industry. This enterprising manufacturer, combined a distinct high quality production technique which employed the use of an improved materials, produced excellent quality white pottery which ranked the company as the number one ceramic producer in Canada. The fast expansion attracted foreign investors. In 1985, the industry was sold to a company from Montreal.In 1989 the company closed..
For an excellent site with Beauceware history and information on dating the pieces visit